Hi all,

Ok, I think I've finally caught up here.
Chris, in your first post of this thread you were quoting those
americans (excluding yourself?) who believe that the blacks of New
Orleans are "enemies of the state", morally equivalent to the 9-11
bombers? Then in your next post you said that believing this requires
Orwellian triple-thinking, basically lying to oneself? And your
comments about Mardi Gras in the third post were again quoting the same
sort of triple-thinking hypocrites as the first?

I agree, this is first class hypocrisy, especially from people who
think that invading sovereign states and wounding or killing many
thousands of people, is morally justifiable, but a few days of drunken
debauchery by consenting adults, isn't.

I must say your position was quite obscure from the posts.

Duncan, you wondered about triple-think, an extension of a process
commonly known as doublethink, first discussed in George Orwell's
"1984".
 From Wikipedia, the free
encyclopedia.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublethink>

Doublethink means, according to George Orwell's dystopian novel
Nineteen Eighty-Four:

     the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind
simultaneously, and accepting both of them. ... To tell deliberate lies
while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become
inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it
back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed, to deny the
existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the
reality which one denies—all this is indispensably necessary. Even in
using the word doublethink it is necessary to exercise doublethink. For
by using the word one admits that one is tampering with reality; by a
fresh act of doublethink one erases this knowledge; and so on
indefinitely, with the lie always one leap ahead of the truth. (pages
35, 176-177)

Of course our current administration finds doublethink too limiting,
thus triplethink.

Paul Krugman has been writing about the ugly side effects of extreme
income inequality for years, here's some of it:
<http://faculty.pnc.edu/arw/gbg344/For%20Richer.htm>
<http://www.pkarchive.org/economy/therich.html>