Hi all
Well I am finally ready to try a mini test batch, yipee!
This is an excerpt from my morning newsletter. The names have been
changed to protect the innocent, hehe.
As I was leaving work I remembered that it was Thursday and if I was
to try my first batch of biodiesel this weekend I needed to get some
lye from the hardware store before it closed. They didn't carry Red
Devil Lye, the preferred product, but they did have several bottles of
caustic soda crystals under the brand name of Roto. I read the
ingredients several times and happily paid the clerk the $3.99 and out
the door I went. Lye without methanol would be like clapping with one
hand I am told by the biodieselers. Where was I going to get methanol?
On down the street to the auto parts store with renewed confidence I
went. I had found what I hoped was a suitable substitute for the first
ingredient while the store was shutting off the overhead lights. Into
the parts store and a bee-line for the liquids. On the shelf where the
fuel line de-icers were was several bottles of Heet. Checking the
ingredients I spied the words, "Contains methyl alcohol." This is the
stuff, methanol. I spent a whopping $2.00 more (2 little bottles) and
off I went with everything I need to begin my first mini test batch of
biodiesel.

So now I hear from Hugh in Los Lunas, by Albuquerque that he has a 55
gallon drum and pump for mineral oil. Yes, yes Hugh this is perfect,
please save it for me. Bring it next time you come up this way. Also,
Eric said he has a fairly decent chemistry setup left over from a
friend's pipe dream project which never saw the light of day. Beakers
and heaters and things I don't recall the names of. Please, please
pretty please folks do save anything you have for lab work. Let me get
these mini-test batches under my belt and I will begin to work out
just what my biodiesel lab will need to get this process geared up.
Another friend  Rand has offered help as well. I thank you all. This
newsletter is so very rewarding. I do a bunch of research while I keep
this chronicle posted to you all and we come together with the stuff
to make it all come about.

Oh yeah, I took the time to go eat lunch yesterday afternoon at my
favorite restaurant, Little Moon (Chinese American buffet). As I was
paying the bill I saw the owner behind the counter.  I introduced
myself and asked what they did with their WVO (waste veggie oil)? He
said his name was Tony and he didn't do anything with the used fryer
oil and he definitely did not throw it in the dumpster. Ok I said we
might be able to help each other out. How much WVO does the restaurant
produce in a week? He said he just got rid of all that he had (not on
the parking lot) but if I was to come back in one week, he should have
five, five gallon containers full. Holy Teriyaki Batman! Did I just
hit the jackpot? No wonder their food is so tasty, five gallons of
grease per day? Far be it for me to question the goose with the golden
eggs.

If this pans out like the owner of this restaurant suggests, I have a
source for oil that will be enough for me to create twenty gallons per
week of fuel for my diesel car! Only the cost of labor, energy to heat
the processor drums and the methanol. This latter is going to be the
tough one to source out. Race tracks sell methanol but we don't have a
race track. I understand that the gulf coast area is where to get
methanol from. I have heard it sells for less than two dollars per
gallon in Louisiana. It might cost the home brew biodiesel producer
$5.00 to $7.00 per gallon if the source wants to price gouge. How much
methanol will I need? Near as I can figure, 120ml of methanol to
1-liter of WVO. Some of the methanol is recoverable. By the way, many
of you have heard that biodiesel can harm your engine. Methanol mixed
with lye makes sodium methoxide, very caustic stuff. You don't want to
be putting any of that in your gas tank. If you have been following my
biodiesel process, you will see that several wash cycles are used.
Litmus paper is employed to make certain the ph of the biodiesel is
neutral before we put it in the tank.

So there it is.
I am stoked and more than ready to get on with it.
Brian Rodgers