No condensation but rivulets of sweat. I imagine the mattress would have to be placed in the sun if this was a continuous experience.
I like the Japanese approach to sleeping space - the one where you rent an airconditioned tube. I can survive if I can sleep. Fortunately it cooled off enough by 1AM that I could sleep.
Refrigeration requires technology. Inescapable I believe.

Kirk

Joe Street <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ahhh it was 33 degrees C in my bedroom Tuesday night and the humidity made it feel more like 48 degrees!  I did manage to sleep but I admit the following day I ran the AC for a couple of hours in the evening till it was down to 28.  I still wouldn't want to sleep on a cold surface, and what would you do about condensation in the bedding?
No blackout yet but we have had some very violent thunderstorms and one tornado that touched down in farm land without killing anyone.  There's getting to be a lot of tornados in the last few years.

Joe

Kirk McLoren wrote:
If you had been in my house last week. The ac blew Friday night and Saturday we set a record high.
A cold bed would have been marvelous.

Kirk

Joe Street <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hey Kirk;

Ever slept on a waterbed that got unplugged and woken up at 4 am shivering?  Cooling my bed....uh ...no thanks.

Joe

Kirk McLoren wrote:
Yes but using water like that certainly is only possible for a few. Most water systems are stressed already. The best method would be to use the latent heat of evaporation. It is important to know the relative humidity where you are.
The "koolsuit" is a legitimate suggestion. 10 pounds of ice in a backpack with circulatory system for arms and legs is a viable low energy low impact system.
1 pound of water water will absorb 1 BTU when raised 1 degree F. If you need many BTU the volume becomes considerable.
Just as using fluorescent instead of tungsten makes sense so does limiting cooling to a suit and mattress also make sense.
We need to soften our impact on the world around us.

Kirk

Mike Redler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Understood. But, why would I care if the sewer is a good heat sink? I suggested that the sewer be used as a way of discharging water after it had absorbed heat from inside the house (or apartment).

I'm interested in finding a medium which is better than hot summer air for cooling the condenser and proposed that water, already cooled from being underground has the same benefit as geoexchange without the cost of digging a hole.

- Redler

Kirk McLoren wrote:
Sewer lines are engineered for the load. Trust me they didnt install larger pipes so you can use them as a heat sink.
The smaller the load the cheaper to refrigerate. A "koolsuit" would take maybe 300 watts.
The rule of thumb in ac sizing is a ton per dozen occupants.

Kirk

Mike Redler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Bob, Joe, et al

Sure, that much I knew. But, what I meant by "on the cheap" was to use the existing infrastructure (i.e. existing, underground water lines) as the ground source instead of requiring a new hole to be dug. Sewer lines could be used as a conduit for sending heat out of the house (or apartment). Perhaps the heated water could be contained and used as domestic hot water for the laundry (for example). I know that there is at least one company in Florida that pumps heat from one's attic into the domestic hot water supply so, it's quite possible.

Using city water and sewer lines as conduit for ground sourcing wouldn't be a closed loop and I'm not sure of the volume (cost) of water required for it to be effective. The part I like about it is the apparent low cost in implementing it. In areas of the city where digging a hole gets complicated, this might be an effective alternative.

-Redler

bob allen wrote:
It's being done all over the country.  It's called ground source heat   pumps.  the condenser uses the ground (more specifically water in it)   as   the heat sink.  It is fairly simple set up if you have a well. If   not a contractor Takes a back hoe and lays plastic pipe horizontally   for hundreds of feet a couple of feet down.    http://www.geoexchange.org/        now if you mean is anybody "rolling their own" water cooled air   condenser, I don't know.        Mike Redler wrote:
Hi everyone,    As with many in this forum, I've been trying to stay cool today without   switching on the AC. It's tempting but,
 so far I've resisted.    I was standing under the shower head, thinking about what my air   conditioner might be doing had it been   turned on. Specifically, how the   condenser responds to a difference in temperature and how that   difference kinda sucks on an especially hot day.    That lead me to a question. What would happen if you used cool city   water to collect condenser heat? The warm water could then be sent down   the   drain and discarded.    I'm just thinking out loud here and I wouldn't be at all surprised if    someone else tried this. If so, please speak up. I wouldn't want to   reinvent the wheel here.    I have absolutely no numbers to back up the viability of this idea   but,   I do know that water is a better conductor of heat than (dry) air and   the difference in temperature (outside air temp - city water temp) can   conceivably be 35+ degrees F.    It's so damn hot, I'm thinking of dissecting an air conditioner or   dehumidifier and adapting it to my
 bathtub right now, with a fan blowing   the cool air into the hallway. Of course, if the energy savings were not   substantial I'd be   kind of annoyed at myself for not crunching the   numbers first.    ...any thoughts?    -Redler

Do you Yahoo!?

_______________________________________________ Biofuel mailing list Biofuel@sustainablelists.org http://sustainablelists.org/mailman/listinfo/biofuel_sustainablelists.org Biofuel at Journey to Forever: http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html Search the combined Biofuel and Biofuels-biz list archives (50,000 messages): http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/

MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "us.rd.yahoo.com" claiming to be MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "us.rd.yahoo.com" claiming to be MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "us.rd.yahoo.com" claiming to be MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "us.rd.yahoo.com" claiming to be _______________________________________________ Biofuel mailing list Biofuel@sustainablelists.org http://sustainablelists.org/mailman/listinfo/biofuel_sustainablelists.org Biofuel at Journey to Forever: http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html Search the combined Biofuel and Biofuels-biz list archives (50,000 messages): http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/

Do you Yahoo!?