Treated-wood woes
Watch out for  pressure-treated products
_http://www.newsreview.com/chico/Content?oid=925397_
(http://www.newsreview.com/chico/Content?oid=925397)
By Lori Brown

The right stuff

Selecting building materials is vital to sustainable design  because of the
environmental impacts associated with processing and  transportation. Actually
seeing how products are made might make us reconsider  using them in our green
buildings and homes.

Otto von Bismarck, a 19th-century aristocrat, once said,  **The less people
know about how sausages and laws are made, the better they’ll  sleep at
night.**

He*s right, but in my experience pressure-treated  wood and particle board
should be added to his list  (although I’m glad I know the whole story).
Pressure treatment is a chemical  process in which wood is placed inside a
closed
cylinder. Vacuum and pressure  are then applied to force preservatives into it.
The chemicals help protect the  wood from termites, other insects and fungal
decay.

Toxic treatment

Pressure-treated lumber contains some of the most potent  cancer agents, such
as chromated copper arsenate, alkaline copper quat,  micronized copper quat,
copper azole and sodium  borates. Classified as waterborne preservatives,
these chemicals  primarily are found in treated lumber used in residential,
commercial and  industrial structures. Chromated copper arsenate (CCA) contains

chromium, copper and arsenic (yikes). The  chemicals are what give treated
lumber
a green color, which goes to show that  just because something is green doesn’
t make it good for the environment!

When pressure-treated wood is exposed to the  environment—or buried into the
ground—it poses a threat to human health and the  environment by allowing
toxins to leach into the surrounding soil and water.  Obviously, it should
never
be burned.

More than 90 percent of outdoor wooden structures are made  with
pressure-treated wood. It is used frequently for fences, raised garden  beds,
formwork for
patios, borders, mow strips, decks, picnic tables, pet houses  and even
children’s play equipment. In fact, nearly all wooden playground  equipment has
been treated with toxic chemicals. This is why it is highly  recommended that
children wash their hands thoroughly with soap and water after  coming in
contact
with it.

Other options

Alternatives to pressure-treated wood depend on the project.  The best for
outdoor applications—such as decks and play sets—is to use  redwood, which is
more expensive but never needs sealing or  staining. Redwood*s aesthetic appeal
is undeniably greater than other lumber and  building materials, and its
resistance to decay and insects make it well worth  the added expense.

There are several recycled rubber and plastic garden  borders on the market.
For raised planters, you can use recycled wood and  plastic lumber. Look for
wood treated by TimberSIL, too. Instead of impregnating  the lumber with a mix
of nasty chemicals and heavy metals, this product is  treated at very high
heat with sodium silicate (glass).

Take the time

Locally, try talking to the good folks at Meek’s Lumber &  Hardware. They
offer several alternatives using composite materials for decking  that resemble
natural wood, have lower maintenance requirements and incredibly  long
lifetimes. It is possible to avoid using treated lumber; it just requires a
little
extra time investigating other options that are right for your project.  For
your health and the protection of our environment, consider it time well
spent.

What we do for ourselves dies with us.
What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

 (http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm)