andré m. winter wrote:
> however google will build its browser, i fear their verve about
> supporting SVG will be limited. i just remember enqiries to them about
> supporting search and indexing on svg documents. they always argued with
> the too low market impact (not enough SVG files out there *on*line) for
> turning on indexing on svg docs. i got this confirmed in person at
> <http://www2003.org/> by a google representative.

That's a pity. Searching for SVG examples, I was wishing Google would be
smart enough to index all plaintext files (SVG, XML, source codes),
either for those looking for some rarely used tags/keywords or for the
comments/textual content.

Note that some Web servers are not configured to send SVG files as
image/svg+xml, so they send them as plain text.

Con: when we try to see them, we see the source instead. We have to save
the page as SVG and see them locally.

Pro: they are indexed by Google...

Note: if you want your SVG indexed, you can either:

- do as Dr. Thomas Meinike (SVG - Learning by Coding)
<http://svglbc.datenverdrahten.de/>
which displays the source in syntax highlighted HTML (and of course
provide the SVG files to see the result)

- link to a textual version of the SVG file, eg. foobar.svg.txt

Of course, in both cases, you have to maintain two versions of your
files, which is better automated (even more when syntax highlighted)...

Note to those providing a link to the SVG for download (for educational
purpose): While you are at it, don't forget to link to external files
(sounds, JS, CSS, images, etc.). It is easier than searching the source
and downloading each bit...
A Zip file can help too, for complex SVGs.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM