On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:33:18 -0500, Thomas DeWeese
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Misha Kapushesky wrote:
>
> > Which, btw, makes me wonder: why? Why not just do it the same way in
> > IE as in non-IE?
>
>     IIRC IE has problems displaying transparent PNG files correctly.

Alpha-transparency, yes.

But that's hardly reason enough to make a developer switch to VML, because:

1. They could have used transparent gifs (yes, licensing, but they're
using them there already)
2. They are using transparent PNGs anyway, with the AlphaImageLoader filter.

> > They could be waiting for FF (and Moz) builds to include (non ASV, but
> > native Mozilla) SVG support as standard and then they'd just have to
> > modify their VML generation slightly to generate SVG. The reason: IE5+
> > supports VML without asking the user to install any plugins and so
> > would a FF build with SVG. The point is to avoid asking the user to
> > install anything extra. So my guess is that Google is betting on SVG
> > being included standard/native into Mozilla-built browsers and they do
> > not care so much about ASV.
>
>     This is possible I suppose but I wouldn't assume it based on
> the use of VML in IE.

It's really hard to justify VML use otherwise. It's safe enough to
assume that they use VML because it makes drawing paths simple (in
IE), and doing the same thing on the server is more difficult and
messy, and is probably the first code to go. And SVG stuff should
replace it (because I don't know of any reasonabl VML efforts on
Mozilla).

--Misha