sunburned_surveyor wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good tutorial/article on this subject?

   Nothing comes to mind, in general a SVG font is just more geometry
with a funny coordinate system and stuff.

> Are there any open source repositories or libraries for SVG fonts. Is
> there any interest in creating one?

    The Batik toolkit now includes two SVG fonts (I won't claim
that they are anything great but they are there).  You can also
take just about any existing open source TrueType font and
convert it to SVG using the Batik ttf2svg converter.

    I think that in general it makes the most sense to built an open
source repository of Fonts (SVG or otherwise) but there are already
projects for that.  Then using tools like Batik or Font Forge
you can convert fonts into SVG (so you don't need your clients
to install them).

    The one exception to this would be to do something like a
really cool illuminated font.  Unlike most font tech that is
limited to B&W with SVG you can use the full power of SVG for
each glyph (multiple colors, gradients, complex strokes, etc).
This would enable really elaborate fonts that couldn't be
created in most other font systems.