Hi Dimitrios,

thanks for providing the link to your application. It might be
useful for one of my future projects.

As to your question: there might be several options. It depends on
your environment. Some SVG viewers support sockets, but then you
might run into firewall problems.

One easy way to do it is to encode the GPS information in an XML
fragment and load that fragment with the getURL() method. There is a
paper available at svg.open that discusses that:
http://www.svgopen.org/2002/papers/bennett__gps_tracking_with_svg/index.html

On receiving the data you can parse the XML fragment extract the
data you need or integrate it into your DOM-tree. You could use a
timer to regularly call getURL().

Andreas

--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Dimitrios Zachariadis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> gpsfeed+ is a free software utility that produces NMEA 0183 output
> TCP/IP, UDP and serial ports. I've written it to test gps
> applications. In case someone is interested, gpsfeed+ is at:
>
> http://users.hol.gr/~dzach/gpsfeed/index.html
>
> My question is how to read gps data coming in from a TCP, UDP or a
serial
> port from inside an svg javascript routine on the same machine.
Has