I have a similar problem. I've developed an SVG front end for editing
databases, IE only at this point. Drawback is that if the db is rather
large, performance falls off fast. For instance, my svg when fully
loaded is about 3.5 MB, which I don't think of as all that large. I make
svg maps that are that big and bigger. The map performance is much
better. I've tried to minimize the size, but I can only do so much. I
reuse buttons and textboxes. I use the svg clip art as a source and make
reusable elements in Inkscape. Inkscape adds a lot of useless stuff like
opacity:1.00000000; and so on. Below is an example of what Inkscape
creates. I do not know what attributes hinder performance. I get rid of
attributes that I know add nothing. I've even substituted out such
things as style="stop-opacity:0.40555555" with stop-opacity='0.40555555'

<linearGradient id="linearGradient8451"><stop id="stop8452" offset="0"
style="stop-color:#ffffff;stop-opacity:0;" /><stop id="stop8453"
offset="1.0000000"
style="stop-color:#ffffff;stop-opacity:0.40555555;"/></linearGradient>

I am not sure what performance degradations occur when using <use> tags.
Is performance related to just the added text of a use tag? How about
linear gradients and use tags? I'm constantly looking for ideas, so any
input would be appreciated. If nothing else, it's a good exercise. Thanks.

Sean