Building an IE plugin on top of Mozilla source sounds so appealing and
yet disturbing at the same time. A Mozilla/Cairo SVG plugin for IE
does sound like it could be a viable technical solution (though I have
no exposure to the source to say how big an undertaking it'd be). I
don't know what the licensing implications are though.

>From a quick search, both pieces of code appear to be available under
the Mozilla Public License http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.html
(Cairo is also optionally available under LGPL).

Such a plugin should make rendering and features pretty consistent
across Mozilla & IE.

--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Schiller"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

> SVG.
> > >
> > > (2) It is understandable that at some point Adobe would announce
> the
> > > end-of-life for Adobe SVG Viewer. Since the Macromedia
> acquisition (at
> > > least, perhaps even earlier), it is clear that Adobe doesn't
> consider
> > > the SVG viewer to be strategic. Also, browsers are adding SVG
> support
> > > natively.
> > >
> > > (3) HOWEVER, I believe that some of the details regarding this
> > > end-of-life announcement are unacceptable to the community and
> not in
> > > Adobe's own best interests. To me, it is OK to stop "support"
> > > (presumably developer support and security fixes) on Adobe SVG
> Viewer
> > > in the relative near-term, but instead of giving four months of
> > > advanced notice (i.e., 1/1/07), it should be something measured in
> > > years, something in the range of 2-4 years. (Note: 5 years is the
> > > usual amount for developer-oriented software.)
> > >
> > > (4) It reflects badly on Adobe that it did not donate the ASV
> source
> > > code (at least the higher-level logic that sits above the graphics
> > > rendering engine) to open soure. If Adobe isn't going to use ASV,
> then
> > > it should give it to the community so they can use it. Given how
> Adobe
> > > promoted industry adoption of ASV in the early days and thereby
> > > convinced many developers to build mission-critical applications
> using
> > > SVG, it is the least that Adobe could do.
> > >
> > > (5) But the worst part of this announcement is the removal of ASV
> > > downloads as of 1/1/08, with no option for others to host a
> different
> > > ASV download site. As others have pointed out, this will be
> > > devastating to those poor souls who made a commitment to ASV in
> the
> > > past and need their deployed SVG applications to continue working
> in
> > > IE, which today has something like 80% market share and is
> unlikely to
> > > support SVG natively before a couple of years go by. This
> particular
> > > decision reflects badly on Adobe as a business partner with
> > > developers. If nothing else, I appeal to Adobe to rethink this
> part of
> > > their decision. How much does it cost a company to maintain a
> single
> > > web page that is already working? If ASV quits working in some
> > > situations, such as ASV not running under Vista, then just add
> text to
> > > the download page alerting people that ASV has been EOL'd and is
> known
> > > not to work with Vista. (But the better approach would be to open
> > > source ASV so that the community can fix any such bugs.)

56704;_ylc=X3oDMTM2cGwwcGptBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyOTg0MjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAxMDMwMzg5BG1zZ0lkAzU2NzIzBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE1NzU4OTQ0MgR0cGNJZAM1NjcwNA-
> -
> > >(
> > > 12)  Reply (via web post)
> > > <
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers/

post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxMXB1ZjZzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyOTg0MjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAxMDMwMzg5BG1zZ0lkAzU2NzIzBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTE1NzU4OTQ0Mg-
> -?act=reply&messageNum=56723
> > > a new topic
> > > <
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers/

post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaGJqa3IwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyOTg0MjEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAxMDMwMzg5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE1NzU4OTQ0Mg-