At 22:28 -0500 26/12/07, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

>Some of other methods were dropped by Adobe in Acrobat 7, and the
>rest in Acrobat 8.1. Use of these methods is officially deprecated in
>the version of the PDF Reference that is now under the auspices of the ISO

Hello Leonard, and a happy New Year!

Can you explain why nobody has yet produced software to convert SVG
to a PDF vector format?  I understand it is not beyond the wit of man.

As you say, it is simple enough to produce a rasterized PDF file from
SVG but what is the use of that!  Can Adobe Illustrator produce
vector PDFs from SVG source?  If not, at the price, why not?

At the moment I am forced to use Satimage's Smile to achieve what I
want, which is to produce scalable drawings and movie frames as
vector PDF files that can also be converted, using other free
software, to DXF files for CNC machines etc.

Smile is excellent, but in spite of long familiarity with
AppleScript, I hate to have to use it when there is an alternative,
and I prefer to use Perl and SVG, which means, apart from the
convenience of the languages, that I can serve custom-ordered
drawings from any old Unix server.  If only the browsers would
provide acceptable support for animation I could also serve movies to
clients' specifications instead scripting the production of a
QuickTime movie using Smile.

In my short acquaintance with SVG it seems to provide everything I
require, and production of the files, using my own home-made Perl
module is a breeze, but everything connected with SVG seems to be
half-baked and progressing very slowly.  No doubt Adobe has no
complaints about that, but what do _you_ think about it?

JD