At the SVG Open demo, I saw that the Lively Kernel guys had rolled their own
textarea widget in SVG and javascript for the purposes of editing
javascript... specifically, reflectively editing the javascript running the
lively kernel environment. It had text flow, text selection, and seemed like
a very nice piece of work. Might be worth checking out:

http://research.sun.com/projects/lively/

Jake