Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. The demos you linked to were interesting and instructive.

In the end, it seems I was able to find a fairly elegant way of
accomplishing this task using SMIL (tested in Chromium):

http://live.echo-flow.com/svg/scrolling-colors.svg

The solution basically hinges on the gradient's spreadMethod="reflect"
attribute, and using animateTransform to continually translate the
gradient vector.

As I said, I think this is rather elegant, but if anyone can think of
a better approach, I'd be very interested to know.

Thanks,

Jake