I don't really understand carburetors, but I have a vague idea that they
control the richness of the fuel mixture so as to calibrate the rate of
combustion in the engine -- for me, the following issue is similar.

Perhaps you can help. I'm trying to explain how to do a wee bit of DOM
scripting to those who don't necessarily have any programming background,
let alone DOM scripting in SVG. I generally get around the topic on my own,
okay, without really understanding some of the more esoteric subjects like
DOCTYPE and namespaces and so forth -- I just do what people tell me to and
it usually works. In truth, I consider all such things to be incantations
required for me to pay homage to the systems gurus who have figured out how
to glue all the pieces together. They are like taxes, and it is generally
not crucial that I understand them so long as I do what is required.

On the other hand, once every so often I find myself having to explain
things to others. And it is at these times that I find myself thinking that
perhaps I should understand such myseries (did I forget a "t" in the last
word? oops) a bit deeper than I do. Hence the following question:

I know that
    R.setAttributeNS(null,"fill", "red")is the proper construction (for SVG
but not HTML), rather than
    R.setAttribute("fill", "red")I also know that in every SVG viewer I have
seen, the latter has equivalent behavior to the former (for SVG but not
HTML), .

I think I was told once that the SVG spec (or maybe it is the XML spec, or
one or another DOM spec), for some mysterious reason, leaves room for some
future browser manufacturer to make a browser in which the latter
construction wouldn't work.  So, as per my oversimplified understanding, we
use the more arcane construction (and its extra seven keystrokes and the
extra 80,000 neural synapses) in anticipation of such a possible future. I
truly don't rue the seven keystrokes, as much as all the norepinephrine,
seratonin and the like.

So as I say, it is not important that I understand it. There may be,
already, a shortage of norepinephrine which would preclude me from ever
understanding it. But what words might I use to explain this oddity to
others? If I happen to understand your explanation that will be a
serendipitous but unexpected side-effect!

cheers
David