On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 02:15:20PM +0100, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
                        .
                        .
                        .
> 2 Queries around the same idea:
>
> 1:    Is there a simple way to visualise an arbitrary size matrix with svg?
> ie say: vary opacity or hue, as a gradient over another arbitrary size
> rectangle.
>
> very basic method: fill in a rectangle for each value  in the matrix
>
> one longwinded method: use radial gradient with
> one stop 0.24 and another using a 3x3 kernel to give an average value
> ~0.2575**
> and a radius calculated from the scale of the matrix (19x19) to the
> displayed size of the  graphic
>

> 2:    is there a way to input colour or alpha values  for an image
> directly?
> as suggested here: "To illustrate, suppose you have a input image
> which is 5 pixels by 5 pixels, whose color values for one of the color
> channels are as follows:"
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/filters.html#feConvolveMatrixElement
>
> Jonathan
>
> **using the value at the second row and second column of the matrix
> attached:
                        .
                        .
                        .
I know mathematics, and SVG, but I truly don't see the
connection you're making here.  I suspect a lot of it
has to do with "simple way"--no, it's a certainty that
pathologic cases will break any such scheme you propose,
but, yes, if you have information about the matrix that
perhaps is obvious to you, but I don't apprehend, then
useful visualizations are feasible.

I'd love to understand better what you have in mind.
What would it take to make a minimal example of "matrix
visualization" for you?