From: jeff_schiller <jeff_schil...@hotmail.com>
Subject: [svg-developers] Re: resize and draggable the group of the SVG
element.....
To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 3:34 PM

--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Mr Rauf" <cute_rauf_...@...> wrote:

> I am working on a SVG and now want to let a user resize an object

> using draggable corners, very much like in SVG-edit (http://svg-

> edit.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/editor/svg-editor.html). The

> functionality should work as follows: The user selects the SVG objects,

> drags it to the main `canvas' and once on the `canvas', four corners

> on the outside of the object appear, the user can drag on each of the

> corner points & drag to enlarge the object. The objects will be

> rectangular in shape and created using paths, not using the SVG `rect'

> function. Would anyone have any suggestions as to how this should be

> implemented?

> Thanks in Advance..

Here's how SVG-edit did it:

- have listeners for mousedown, mouseup, mousemove

- if an element is clicked on (in mouseup), then that is your currently
selected element

- put a 'selector box' element on top of the selected element (that has the
visible handles you can drag)

- in your mousemove, detect if a handle is being dragged, while it's being
dragged, determine what the element's new size should be and either:  a)
recompute the element's geometry to fit into that box or b) put a transform on
that element

See SVG-edit's code involving Selector, SelectorManager and
recalculateDimensions() and the mouse event handler functions.

Note that these are not trivial pieces of code and they took awhile to get into
a working state.

Best of luck,

Jeff