  From: gb_n_svg
  To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 2:57 PM
  Subject: [svg-developers] How to time some SVG+JavaScript?

  I have been experimenting with SVG Filters across Safari, Firefox, Chrome and
Opera.

  I am trying to get some stable performance timing so that I can understand
which filters are pretty quick, and which aren't. (I'd also like to do these as
browsers are improved)

  There are a couple of obstacles:
  1. Some stuff is so quick, it can't be reliable measured
  2. Some browsers schedule drawing differently, so aren't actually timed

  My approach to solve 1 (to make stuff easy to measure) is to run a JavaScript
function to create hundreds of instances of a group, with the filter applied to
each of the groups. This seems to be enough that timing is relatively useful.

  e.g.
  function () {
  var startTime = new Date();
  ... do the create and rendering for hundreds of groups ...
  var endTime = new Date();
  ... calculate elapsed time and print it ...
  }

  BUT I can't simply time the JavaScript function this way because the
rendering of the graphics doesn't happen until after the function has exited.

  I tried running the final part of the timing after the groups are created as
a closure with setTimeout:

  setTimeout(function () {
  var endTime = new Date();
  var diffTime = endTime.getTime() - startTime.getTime();

  var txt = document.getElementById("timing");
  txt.firstChild.nodeValue = ... ;
  }, 10);

  But, with some browsers I can see that the time to render is much longer than
the time this code measures and reports (over 2 seconds, but the timing claims
0.6sec)

  I'd like to get this to a stage where I can run a sequence of tests,
automatically, let it gather the stats, and compare different combinations of
filters on the same browser, and also between different browsers.

  Could someone please point me at something which explains how to time this
sort of thing so that the time includes all of the rendering?

  TIA - GB