Yeah, this is ancient... but...

Did you ever get a solution to this:
A way to turn off the default ASV text highlighting functionality?

I, unfortunately, need to support a customer using ASV with an old IE browser
as they cannot go to IE9 any time soon.

I need to disable the ASV autoselection and highlighting of text on click-drag
region definition.

I've defined my own click events and am calling the various functions after my
own handler:
        evt.stopPropagation();  // don't propagate this event any further to
other handlers
        evt.preventDefault();   // do not execute any default handling for this
event either
        return false; // should also stop any additional processing of this
event downstream

in my mouse-up, mouse-down, and mouse-move handlers.
But that doesn't seem to stop the default text-selection ASV handler from doing
its thing.  GRrrrr..

Covering up all text with other art really isn't an option.. this should be
disableable somehow.