I've seen a lot of talk on github issues regarding swagger's lack of
support for oneOf and anyOf. Setting aside the merits of the arguments over
there, I'm looking for a practical solution to the problem of a response
object (or any object, really) that has a property that can be EITHER
another object, or null.  This is a real-world problem for my project:
complex objects reference other objects, but in some cases, the referenced
object is NULL, i.e, some parent objects do not point to a child and null
is the appropriate value in these cases.

I'm surprised the spec doesn't handle this readily.  There is x-nullable,
provided by some consumers of the spec, but that does not work in
conjunction with $ref, where the reference replaces the object wholesale,
leaving the x-nullable setting ignored.

I think I asked the question well over on stackoverflow, maybe someone here
can earn some points over there:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40920441/how-to-specify-a-property-can-be-null-or-a-reference-with-swagger