They are interchangeable. We tried to keep the same consistency around the
spec, but obviously there’s room for improvement.

From: <swagger-swaggersocket@googlegroups.com> on behalf of "tomj...@gmail.com"
<tomj...@gmail.com>
Date: Saturday, November 4, 2017 at 08:48
To: Swagger <swagger-swaggersocket@googlegroups.com>
Subject: understanding "field" and "property" terminology choices in the
OpenAPI spec

In the OpenAPI spec, each table that lists the properties for an object is
titled "Fields". For example, take a look at the Info object. The table here
that lists its properties is titled "Fixed Fields." The left column shows the
"Field Name."

I thought JSON used the term "Property" or "Member" to describe each item in an
object. Can you help me understand why the specification authors chose to use
"fields" here? Frequently, as each field is described, the description uses the
term property instead of field.

How does a field differ from a property in JSON? Is field used to allow for a
distinction between "fixed fields" and "patterned fields"?