On Fri, 7 Sep 2018, Craig Marker wrote:

I’m debugging an issue where my server rebooted and the tunnel didn’t
reestablish correctly, and
I noticed strange entries in the server’s ip xfrm state table. Namely, a ton of
duplicates for
established connections. Is this something I should be worried about or
something that has been
seen before?

Usually that means the two endpoints keep renegotiating for some reason,
and libreswan is keeping the old ones for a bit before cleaning them up.

I also noticed this strange entry that doesn’t correspond to any .conf file,
except it has the
src/dst mapping to the VTI Ip address for conn37. Though there is no
configuration anywhere that
connects conn37.conf and the VTI IP address endpoints (they are applied with ip
addr after the
connection has been established).

src 172.16.0.4 dst 172.16.0.5
proto esp spi 0x00000000 reqid 0 mode transport
replay-window 0
mark 0x25000000/0xff000000
anti-replay context: seq 0x0, oseq 0x0, bitmap 0x00000000
sel src 172.16.0.4/32 dst 172.16.0.5/32 proto icmp type 8 code 0 dev conn37

This is an ACQUIRE in larval state. It happens during on-demand tunnels.
It means the kernel send the ACQUIRE to the IKE daemon, and now the IKE
daemon is expected to replace this with a tunnel IPsec SA. I think this
is just a side effect of the many re-establishing you are seeing.

Sep  7 08:10:10 cq-use1f-1 pluto[8504]: initiate on demand from 172.16.0.4:8 to
172.16.0.5:0
proto=1 because: acquire

Yeah that is the ACQUIRE.

Here’s the associated conn37.conf, if that’s helpful.

conn conn37
left=70.240.163.43
leftid=“@left-70.240.163.43"
leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
left=70.240.163.43
right=51.179.82.210
rightid="%fromcert"
rightsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
rightcert=server
right=51.179.82.210
rightupdown=/usr/libexec/ipsec/inspeed_updown
rightcert=server
authby=rsasig
vti-routing=no
encapsulation=yes
keyingtries=0
mark=0x25000000/0xff000000
vti-interface=conn37
phase2alg=aes256-sha2_256
auto=ignore

If you want this to go up at boot, you should put in auto=start

type=tunnel
compress=no
pfs=yes
ikepad=yes
authby=rsasig
phase2=esp
ikev2=permit
ppk=no
esn=no

I guess the reason for why it keeps restarting the tunnel should be in
the logs on one of the endpoints?

Paul