Yes, I remember Red Baron sounded much, much better with a Roland card.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen S. Lee [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2001 6:37 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [SWCollect] [OT] Roland LAPC-1

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Jim Leonard wrote:
> Stephen Lee wrote:
[snip]
> > I'm trying to install a Roland LAPC-1 I recently acquired in a 486 that
> > I've set up to be a Killer Retrogaming Rig (tm).  (Eventually, I'll get
an
> > XT.)  I only got the card itself (no software or documentation).
> >
> > Music doesn't quite work right.  Using Ultima VI as a test game, the
music
> > plays very slowly (every time a new note begins, both the music and the
> > game freeze for about a second).
> >
> > Can anyone help get this to work right (or put me in touch with people
who
> > would know)?  If I need to install a device driver, run the proper
install
> > program, set an environment variable or two, etc., I'd like to know.
>
> Your machine is too fast for the music routines in U6.  Slow down the box,
but
> don't use a slowdown program as this won't work; slow it down via hardware
(go
> to "slow" or "non-turbo" speed, or disable some caches in the BIOS
settings)
> and try it again.  This is a known problem with U6 (and other games of
that
> era).  It's a timing issue in the software.

That's not the problem, as I have the U6 music patch installed.  The game
runs pretty much flawlessly on my AMD K6-2/350.

> You mentioned you have a SB16 in there as well -- at what IRQ/port/DMA
> settings is it set to?  It might be conflicting with the LAPC-1, which
> uses IRQ2/9 and port 330 on its default settings (and is what it
> *should* be set to for maximum compatibility).

Yeah, this was the problem.  My SB16 was set to port 330, and I had to
yank a jumper from the card to convert it to 300 (ah, old hardware).
That fixed the problem (yay!); now the last thing I need to do is to
properly mix the SB and Roland sounds ...

It's odd how different games can feel with a Roland installed.

-- Stephen