This is a nice intro to something I've been considering lately:

Jim's oldskool.org is a good resource for suggestions on getting old games
to run on modern PCs, but wouldn't it be great if there were also a database
somewhere with solutions for problems with specific games (for people who
don't have the room for a retrorig and need to run their games on their
500mHz+ machines)?

Say a user was having trouble getting, say, Day of the Tentacle to run, he
got music but no voices.  He could do a search on DOTT and find solutions
other gamers have found, possibly patches coded by hardcore enthusiasts,
etc.  In the long run, this would save everyone the trouble of trying all
the solutions that DON'T work, by giving them the ones that do.  The
database could include relevant specs of the problem machines and
step-by-step answers.

Underdogs is like this, to some extent, with their "fixed" versions of older
games.  I'm thinking primarily early CD-ROMs here, which are too large and
expensive bandwidth-wise to download, and no fun to play as rips.  (I'm not
suggesting the entire game be available for download, merely patches if any
exist, and some troubleshooting info based on other players' experience.)

True, you do miss the time-trip of playing on an older machine, but the
majority of players aren't bothered by this, and like Stephen says there
probably aren't enough of those old machines to go around anymore.

Is there enough demand out there for something like this, would you think?