"Stephen S. Lee" wrote:

> I was actually talking about Champions of Krynn, not Pool (never heard of

Oh, Krynn!  Yes, my friend had this given to him as a gift, and I distinctly
remember a poster being included.  (IBM PC version)

> > I have seen M&M1 for the PC with a spiral-bound manual, although my
> > memory says it's a 5x7" manual, not "large".  My memory could be
> > wrong... but it was definitely spiral-bound.
>
> Son of a gun ... I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for that one, too.  You
> sure about this?  Hugh seems to disagree ...

It was a large box, that much I remember.  But this was a long time ago.  If
there is a dispute, I'll defer to Hugh, as he probably owns it.

> > Buy now if the price is $9 or less.  You can always sell later.  That's what I
> > do, but I'm not everyone.
>
> Yeah, but these sorts of games typically go on eBay for $25+.  I pick

But don't get them off of ebay -- you need to learn the fine art of
"oldwarezing" (visiting all sorts of thrift shops, used software stores (a
surprising amount of them exist in Illinois), goodwill, and other nooks and
crannies.  Or, just be patient and always bid low for something that comes up a
lot, and you might get it.  Chris is fond of sharing stories of things like
someone putting up a complete Infocom with a Buy This Now price of $5 (doh!)
:-)

Chris and Tom, both on this list, are experts in oldwarezing.  I have tagged
along with them on one of their runs and learned a lot; Chris, in particular,
has a knack for finding the neat obscure stuff, like Michael Berlyn novels.
Chris, care to spare any advice on finding stuff?  Or have you written about
that subject already in the YOIS newsletter?

> these off at a slow pace -- sometimes the going price on eBay skyrockets
> alarmingly, as happened notably with the Sierra collections.  I'm just
> wondering whether The Neverhood will always be $60-70, or whether it will
> be profitable to wait for the price to dip to $25, or whether I should buy
> ten copies now and make a mint in a few years.  :)

I wouldn't use software as a profit device -- some people do, but tastes change
(and people's IQ goes up and down ;-) and I've never tried to make money off of
it.  However, I *know* other people on this list do it, and some do it well --
maybe they should offer up some advice?

> > The price of Kilrathi Saga just blows my mind.  People who are paying
> > those prices (I've seen as high as $500) are incredibly stupid.  It's
> > just not worth that much.
>
> Yeah, well, nothing much you can do about the desperate game-players ... I
> still want my Wing Commander calendar, though.  :)

I guess they don't realize that they can purchase Wing Commanders 1, 2, and 3,
buy a 486 and a Roland MT-32, and play them all for much less than $500.  (The
"remastered soundtrack" for the Kilrathi Saga is just the MT-32 soundtrack
saved to .WAV files that play during the game.)

> > The "film can" release of Wing Commander 3
> > is a hell of a lot more rare and worth a thousand dollars at least
> > (came in an actual film can, with extra materials including a
> > t-shirt).
>
> Ah, I don't think it's worth quite so much, otherwise I wouldn't have
> gotten a complete copy on eBay for $125.  (Absolutely complete; this
> almost always shows up missing a part or five.)  Huge bugger of a package
> (it doesn't all come in the can; the can itself comes in a larger box),
> too; not sure how I'll put it on my shelves in the place I'm moving to.

Kick ass!  I envy you.  It's definitely worth more for the simple reason that
much less were produced, only about 1500 if memory serves.  There were 22,000
Kilrathi Sagas on shelves and probably more in warehouses.

> This *was* obtaininable direct from EA until relatively recently,
> actually.  (Same for the Martian Dreams clue book, sigh.)

I wish I had known that!  :-(

> > > (6) Truly ancient IBM games
> > >
> > > There are four IBM games I know of that come in a small flat gray
> > > plastic folder (this is how the very first IBM games came packaged):
> [snip]
> > Wow, you're definitely hard-core IBM.  :-)  Warms my heart to see
> > that.  Yes, these were the first four entertainment titles for the IBM
> > PC Model 5150.  I don't see any more in my catalogs until the later
> > "plastic clam-shell" packaging.
>
> Dude, you've got the catalogs too.  Lucky bastard.  :)

But I don't have the games!  Lucky bastard.  ;)

> > You might be interested to know that there were third-party games for
> > the IBM available very closely after the 5150's release (ie. the above
> > 4 you list weren't the only "first games available").  Check
> > www.mobygames.com for "funtastic" games, for example.
>
> How hard are the other extremely old IBM games to find?  Occasionally I
> try to look for a copy of, say, J-Bird, or Czorian Siege, but I have
> absolutely no recollection what the packaging looks like for one thing,
> and I have no idea how rare it is.

I think you just answered your own question.  ;)

> Incidentally, J-Bird runs absolutely flawlessly on a modern computer.  :)
> (Well, not under Windows, you have to use straight-up DOS.)

Alley Cat is my all-time champ for a game well-programmed.  It runs at the same
speed on every single IBM PC-compatible ever created.  Even my 1GHz box!
--
http://www.MobyGames.com/
The world's most comprehensive gaming database project.