Pedro Quaresma wrote:

> You never had to configure anything in Windows? Reduce a bit your sound
> card acceleration? Tweak around with your gfx card settings?

What the heck is "reducing sound card accleration?"

I only tweak GFX if I'm trying to overclock and get better performance
:)

> >But to suggest as you did in a previous post that
> >Linux makes plug and play easier, well yes, you will get your soundcard
> >recognized, but will your programs (aka games) recognize it?
>
> Sure. Haven't you ever played a game in Linux? I could surprise you with
> some data. Quake 2 in Linux is way faster than same machine running Quake 2

It is not "way" faster.  I don't consider 3-5fps "way" faster.

> in Windows. Better yet, Quake 2 for Windows on a Windows emulator in Linux
> is faster than Quake 2 in Windows! Interesting, isn't it?

In software rendering, yes.  But people don't play Q2 in software.

Let me ask you this:  What games *other* than Quake (and Civ3, and Myth)
can we play in Linux?  Especially now that Loki has bit the dust?

(silence)

Okay, are we done arguing about which OS is better than the other for
gaming?  It's a pointless argument.  Consoles whip all computer
platforms anyway since they never crash and never have compatibility
issues.

> >On the issue of crashing... all I can say is that Dos machines didn't
> crash
> >as much because they weren't doing as much!  Spec your windows system down
> >to the bare minimum and only run one program at a time, with no lan
> >connections or anything running, and believe me it won't crash either.
>
> But you can run Linux with everything running and all services on, and it

..and the game will run, but pause for a few seconds every minute while
some process decides that it really really needs Ring 0 access in the
kernel.  Come on, choose your priorities dude!

> won't crash. In the worst possible event, X will crash but not the OS, so

And that's acceptable?

I'm just saying you should choose your battles wisely.  If you were
arguing for Linux as a server OS, I'd roll out the red carpet and step
aside.  But gaming isn't one of those platforms you should debate on.