Hugh Falk wrote:

> By the late 80's hard drives were common on STs and Amigas (I had two).  The
> problem with games is that the copy protection often kept you from
> installing them on a hard drive (on all platforms).  That's why code wheels,
> page numbers, etc. became so popular.  I hated them, but it was worth
> getting hard drive speed.  Jim, you're right...load times off floppy were
> just horrible....though still a lot better than cassettes in the C-64 days
> :-).  What I really hated was when they had disk copy protection and a code
> wheel!

ACK, I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of crack^H^H^H^H^Hrunning
any of those.

The most elegant codewheel copy-protection I've ever seen had to be
Rocket Ranger.  The code wheel that came with the game was necessary to
play it -- to travel from one country to another, you had to enter in
both source and destination and the amount of fuel needed to get from
here to there was what you stuck in your rocket pack for the flight.
You couldn't just "disable" the code wheel code, or you'd disable the
entire game.