Back then, most games filled up all available memory and rarely ever did
they have to load from disk, so most games back then were NOT keeping
protection in mind.  It was a very easy thing to tack on, though,
because what would usually happen is the guy in charge of protection
would get the game file, then break that up into various pieces himself
and write a bootstrap loader that loaded a chunk of game in at a time,
then loaded a chunk of loader for the next piece, then executed the
loader chunk to load the next piece, etc.  Usually they would only have
a 256-byte loader (trk 0, sector 0) that would load in the first loader,
which was usually the place where they pulled various tricks to hide the
loader code.

Sometimes they would load in a piece of code that loaded in at the end
of the stack ($100+), over the input buffer ($200+) then when it was
done do an RTS which would go to the address that was stored at
$1FE-1FF, which ended up being the start of the next loader chunk... It
was pretty crazy.

I believe Tom McWilliams did most of Sirius' copy protection and he used
the little ship graphic from Gorgon while loading the rest of the
game.....it definitely made it look like Nasir did the protection
himself, but I don't think he did.  I could definitely verify this for a
fact if you "need to know".

BTW, did you know that Ultima II's release was held up because Mark
Duchaineau didn't want to protect it with his normal code (he wanted to
use his new SpiraTrack scheme) and Sierra was *locked* in to using his
protection code.....???

- John