I don't even know what the first commercial game would have been.  It all
depends on your definition of "Personal Computer."  You could go back to the
Altair or others that didn't have video screens.  Games on those systems
would have been personal computer games, but not "video" games.  It would be
great to know what the first commercial video game was on one of the big
three from 1977 -- Commodore PET, Apple II, TRS-80.  Anybody have an idea
what the first commercial game was on each platform?  Any idea which would
have been first across all platforms?

The oldest commercial games I own have copyright dates from 1978:

Air Traffic Controller -- 1978 for Tandy from Creative Computing
Space Trek II -- 1978, 1979 for Tandy from Instant Software

Of course, Empire has an initial copyright of 1978 because of its roots, but
it wasn't comemercially available on a PC until much later (87 by
Interstel).

I have quite a few from 1979, but none before 78.  Of course, in 79 Atari
entered the market and PC gaming became big business.  I've always
considered 1979 the first great year for PC gaming.

Hugh