While ebay and paypal are the root of all evil, its possible its also to prevent bots from harvesting user info for targeted spam. Most ebay users use their exact e-mail address as their username. Something else I noticed is sometimes I have a hard time logging in. It has told me more than once that my user ID doesn't exist.