> Not to pick nits, but the "true" piece of art is the game code itself.
> The extras -- manual, cloth map, etc. -- are what make it collectable,
> but the art is the entire package, which includes the game.  What good
> is the manual if you can't play?

Perhaps I wasn't clear, I meant 'art' in reference to art collecting
mentioned earlier.  Thus I was being quite literal - I collect 'box
art'.

> > On the other hand, there are some games I have been searching for for
> > years and have not seen EVER on eBay (or anywhere else), even once, thus
> > making them even more rare than Akalabeth or Mt. Drash technically.  And
> > when I come across one like this by some rare fluke, I may get it for as
> > low as $10 (maybe no one else wants it, who knows).
>
> Like what, out of curiousity?

One that immediately comes to mind is Destiny by Software Investments
Plus.  Doriath was also incredibly difficult to find (an excellent C64
game if you've never tried it).  Got both cheap, but not until several
YEARS of searching eBay weekly.  Also Tower of Myraglen and trolls and
Tribulations.  Another C64 title, Spirit of the Stones, and Savage by
Rainbird/Microplay/Probe were also cheap but hard to find (not as hard
as the others though).  Also Talisman by Polarware.  Might and Magic I
pre-box version (was just sold as a huge manual with map and disks).
While I may have seen an odd loose disk for one or two of these, I
rarely saw one appear complete and as soon as I did, I grabbed it and no
one else seemed to want them

Incidentally, here's a few games I have never once seen (other than
perhaps a loose disk) on eBay, in several years of searching - no idea
why - Labyrinth of Crete (Scott Adams), Birth of the Phoenix, Black
Magic (Datasoft, US Boxed version), Coveted Mirror (Comprehend version),
Crypts of Terror (In-Home software, saw loose disk once..), Dungeons
Dragons and Other perils (XLent software), Fraktured Faebles (American
Eagle), Gelfling Adventure (Sierra), Palace in Thunderland (Micro Lab),
Quarterstaff (Simulated Environment Systems, before Infocom bought it),
Secret of Easter Island (Three Sigma), Seventh Sword of Mendor
(Grandslam), Sorcerer of Siva (Epyx), most Synergistic Software early
games, Spirit of Glenmore Castle (On Target), Troll's Tale (Sierra),
Zombies (Bram).  And my personal holy grail of hard to find games,
Dungeons of Despair (Wizardry Zero??).  There are very few references to
this latter one, though it is on the Giant Game Programmers list, and
from what I can scrounge, this may have been a Wizardry I beta demo,
released to the Apple user group community as the game was being made?
Anyone know any more on this one?  and as for the other games listed
here, have any of you ever seen any of them, ever, anywhere?  Maybe I've
just had bad luck?  I suppose some of these, might not exist though I
know most do.  Anyhow, these all appear to be rarer than Akalabeth and
friends.  Oh yes, there's also the Dysan 3 1/2" Infocoms, and DEC
Rainbow ones...