Like I said, I was at CGExpo and there were maybe 200 people tops
(excluding exhibitors).  Remember, these people have to come from
halfway across the country in many cases, and that is a big barrier.
Not everyone lives in southern California :) Plan small for a first time
conference, or there won't be a second..  You can always limit
attendance if you get too many applicants, but you can't do the
reverse..  In fact limited seats could encourage people to sign up and
pay early..