From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 1:20 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [SWCollect] Sam & Max II

> Well, I don't have the inside track on gaming marketing, and EA profits
and such, but...

> Hugh said, "This is turning the games industry into a hit-driven market
(like the movie industry)."

> Turning?!  I seem to think that it's been this way in the games industry
for a LONG time.  Back when Wing Commander came out, remember all of the
clones that came out right after?--DOZENS of 'em!  I always thought that it
was just looked at as a 'cash cow' genre by the industry, and they beat it
to death, until noone wanted to play space adventure games anymore.

> What about Wolfenstein and Doom--SURELY John has some insight into
this--how many of those REALLY LOUSY FPS games did we buy, just waiting for
Doom 2 to come out?  The industry then chewed up and spit out the FPS genre,
until it got stale--every now and then someone would get innovative, and
revitalize the genre (Duke Nukem, Half-Life, Deus Ex), but then the slump
sets in, and people don't want YET ANOTHER FPS!

> MMORPGs seem to be following the same trend.  I think that 10 years from
now there will still be hardcore pockets, but *MOST* people will consider
online RPS's dead, and move on to the next innovative concept.

> But that means that there is STILL room for the independent publisher to
come up with the 'next big thing', and either start a new market, or get
rich when they're bought by EA or MS!  Get your game design docs back out of
the drawer, guys!  There's still hope for being millionaires yet!