I just got some interesting information from Joel Billings (founder of SSI)
about some SSI games that came in Ziploc bags:

"We never sold ziploc games in stores, but when our inventory ran low and we
were out of boxes, we would put whatever manuals we had in ziploc bags and
sell them that way mail order (usually as part of promotions at a discount).
That's probably how you got Kursk."

How do you know if you have an original Ziploc bag release?  Well in my
case, there is the standard round Apple II platform sticker on the outside
of the bag.

Hugh