Peter Olafson wrote:

The upshot is that, without much encouragement from the top, few game publishers invested heavily in the Mac market. (To be sure, there are exceptions, like Bungie, Cassady & Greene, pre-Activision Infocom, early Cyan, and, later on, companies like GT Interactive's MacSoft). Most

I seem to remember a ton of mostly-unique games that originated on Mac (or were at least very popular on the Mac and took advantage of a mouse interface) and were eventually ported to other platforms -- things like Alter Ego (might have been on other platforms first), Dark Castle, Armor Alley, and ICOM adventure games... is my memory just faulty, or weren't there any unique Mac games? (Or there *were* but they didn't sell?)

The sports-game market seems to have a different ethic. In another genre, NBA Live 97 might be considered collectible; as a sports game, it's just old. I suspect sports gamers are so geared to playing with the current rosters that they don't look back as much as, say, adventure gamers.

I had forgotten about the roster aspect. However, this doesn't explain non-roster games like golfing, racing, etc.
--
Jim Leonard ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
World's largest electronic gaming project: http://www.MobyGames.com/