Back then I had a friend who worked for a newspaper. He was in charge of a color separator (it sounded impressive then) so they could print color ads in multiple passes. It made the dark red and black sheet black and white. It was excessive but it was fun to have such an overkill solution.

Jim: I got Tie Fighter and Perfect General from EBX (yet another division of EB, how many do they need)?

I kinda liked Microprose's copy protection. Their war games had you identify enemy vehicles. After a while of playing the game, you didn't need to refer to the manual. Came in handy knowing just what it was shooting at you, too. Some of them let you play anyway if you failed the doc check, but only at the beginner level. Nice incentive to buy the game if you just cracked the disk check.

On Jun 12, 2004, at 6:03 PM, Freddie Bingham wrote:

I had no problem duplicating the codes on the copy machine at the drugstore
near my house. The second release of Maniac Mansion also came with that
type of protection.

http://lucasarts.vintagegaming.org/index.php?gameid=2&r=2

-freddie

Lucasarts Museum - http://lucasarts.vintagegaming.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Leonard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, June 12, 2004 2:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [SWCollect] Best copy protection?

Marco Thorek wrote:

IIRC the game came with five-symbol codes printed in black
on really
dark brown paper.

I was lucky enough to have a B&W hand scanner (remember those?) that used a red scanning beam. A bit of adjustment to the contrast, and voila -- I could reproduce those like they were black on white sheets of paper. :-) -- Jim Leonard ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) http://www.oldskool.org/ Want to help an ambitious games project? http://www.mobygames.com/ Or check out some trippy MindCandy at http://www.mindcandydvd.com/