Caselli77 wrote:

> Has anyone read an intelligent negative review of 99th dream?

No.  And I think that this is because Swervedriver is a subject that
most mainstream alterna-crappers don't feel comfortable tackling.
Swervedriver is a highly-respected, revered band with an edge that, for
some reason, prevents the general public from getting too invovled with
them.

Sure, they can't get into it because it doesn't sound like Third Eye
Blind, No Doubt, Bush, or Better Than Ezra.  But they recognize that
there is something going on with Swerve that, while they can't quite put
their greasy fingers on it, it's there attracting those with more
"sophisticated" musical tastes.  These folks may have bad taste, but
they may not be altogether stupid.  To criticize music that is on a
noticably higher plane than the music of their own tastes would be to
reveal the limitations of their tastes, and possibly intellect.

The scenesters (which incidentally seem to include most people with the
job of reviewing things deemed "cool", like music) don't want to display
dissenting opinions, especially when those opinions may be perceived as
uncool.  When reviewing an album, it seems that it is better to just
blindly rave about something and hope that you don't look stupid.  That
is why I am particularly baffled by the Salon review.  The reviewer, for
no apparent reason, took it upon herself to review a fairly obscure
album and bash it!  Why?  By displaying such ignorance, she could only
end up looking stupid.  Either she is a brave woman, or a stupid woman
(I'm guessing the latter).

I would like to see some qualified bad reviews.  Dissenting opinions are
great!  It's when the opinion is unqualified that the bad reviews really
hurt.

Andy.