Ok, the kind people on the Ubuntu forums helped me. The solution is to install
the dev package, libxml2-dev.

Izak

Previous question:

Hi all

I'm trying to build swmill-0.2.12 on Ubuntu Dapper 6.06. I haven't built many
things from source before, so sorry if this is a stupid question

I run ./configure and it checks many things but then stops at:
"
checking for XML... configure: error: Package requirements (libxml-2.0) were
not met:

No package 'libxml-2.0' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables XML_CFLAGS
and XML_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
"

I checked the package manager for libxml, but there is no package named
'libxml-2.0' only 'libxml2' which is obviously (?) the same but with the wrong
name? libxml2 was already installed.

So should i set the XML_CFLAGS variable in the config script to something? But
what? Also, what should the XML_LIBS variable  be? Or is there something I am
doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!
Izak