On 14/10/2016 02:46, Dave Abrahams wrote:

OK cool, is there any reason it’s even written down? I don’t see any code
that’s obviously relying on it. (seems fine to delete it?)

It's written down because we've never formalized our index invalidation
rules.  I didn't realize that this comment was related to index
invalidation.  The guarantee mentioned is one we might want to give, at
least under some circumstances.  We'll have to think about that more
carefully.  In any case, it's not time to delete it yet.

For what it's worth, this rule is also explicitly mentioned in docs/IndexInvalidation.rst (https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/IndexInvalidation.rst):

"Insertion into a Dictionary invalidates indexes only on a rehash. If a Dictionary has enough free buckets (guaranteed by calling an initializer or reserving space), then inserting elements does not invalidate indexes.

Note: unlike C++'s std::unordered_map, removing elements from a Dictionary invalidates indexes."

(I realize the stuff in /docs is not necessarily official documentation (right?), I just wanted to mention it.)