> On Dec 1, 2016, at 11:48 AM, Andrew Trick <atr...@apple.com> wrote:
>
> Responding on swift-dev to what turned into an interesting discussion…

> Actually, the inliner specializes as it goes, so inlining after mandatory SIL
> passes would still be quite useful.
>
> My concern is really that the user may expect inline(__always) to be as
> effective a performance tool as @transparent, while preserving debug line
> locations.
> If it runs late, it doesn’t expose capture promotion, box-to-stack,
> guaranteed ARC optimization, etc.

>>> Doing so changes the set of programs that are accepted, since it may expose
>>> more code to diagnostic passes. We don't want diagnostics to depend on
>>> optimizations.
>>
>> Perhaps we could avoid this by changing the diagnostic passes to
>> intentionally ignore instructions with inlined source locations, though that
>> seems brittle.
>>
>> -Joe
>
> Well, inline(__always) would be mandatory, not an optimization. But I think
> your point is that the user does not expect that attribute to affect program
> legality. Having data-flow diagnostics “ignore” certain instructions sounds
> horrible. Is there an obvious problem, or is this hypothetical? i.e. is there
> some diagnostic that is currently enforced at the function boundary but would
> be considered legal code after inlining?

An example of something that depends on dataflow diagnostics would be something
that's constant-foldable causing static overflow diagnostics:

func double(_ x: UInt8) -> UInt8 {
  return x + x
}

_ = double(128)

Making `double` transparent causes the compiler to statically reject the call:

/Users/jgroff/bar.swift:6:5: error: arithmetic operation '128 + 128' (on
unsigned 8-bit integer type) results in an overflow
_ = double(128)
    ^

-Joe