> On Aug 8, 2017, at 3:34 PM, David Zarzycki via swift-dev
> <swift-dev@swift.org> wrote:
>
> In ConstraintSystem::performMemberLookup(), constructors with “simple” names
> have a dedicated lookup path. In contrast, constructors with compound names
> are handled by the normal lookup. If I delete this code and let the normal
> lookup path handle both simple and compound named constructors, I find that
> all 10,214 validation tests pass on my machine (albeit with slightly
> different error messages in three test files).

I would suggest running the source compatibility test suite also (see “pull
request testing” in https://swift.org/source-compatibility/), but it is quite
possible the code is indeed unnecessary.

> Is the test suite missing a test for this code path and if so, what? Or
> should it be scheduled for deletion after identical error messages can be
> generated by the normal lookup path?

Are the new error messages worse or just different? If the latter there’s
really no requirement to keep them identical.

Slava