> On Dec 23, 2015, at 5:11 AM, Tino Heth <2...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Imho it sounds good, but I rarely encounter situations where I would benefit
> from the proposed change…

It does happen in the Objective-C frameworks; the NSURL example I provided is
an aggravatingly common one, but there are plenty others (particularly anything
that begins with “get”). In C, of course, it’s all over the place.

It would be handy for third-party code, as well. I’m currently converting a
class hierarchy from Obj-C to Swift that returns multiple values, but since
this code still has to be interoperable with Obj-C (for now), I can’t move it
to returning a tuple yet, and all these UnsafeMutablePointers are driving me
*crazy*.

> and afair "out" is an Objective-C addition, so there would be no improvement
> for plain C.

While that’s true, Apple could use the same sort of solution that they have
done in many other places; just use #ifdef checks to #define some constant like
NS_OUT to ‘out’ for Objective-C, and to an empty string otherwise.

Charles