> On Jan 3, 2016, at 6:34 AM, Maury Markowitz via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 2, 2016, at 9:00 AM, Daniel Dunbar via swift-build-dev
>> <swift-build-...@swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> Happy 2016!
>>
>> I am working on an initial proposal for adding support for C language
>> targets to the Swift package manager, and am interested in feedback:
>
> The idea of including C libraries/code in Swift projects *without* having to
> use Xcode strikes me as *very* valuable. Two questions:
>
> a) for item (2) in "solution" I see the advantages of placing the bridging in
> a separate directory, but I want to point out that this may make the
> interactions between various devenvs and things like GitHub more annoying.
> Xcode's Bridging-Header solution has it's own problems, but may be easier to
> work with in complex projects. Generally I think more flexibility here might
> be valuable, even going so far as a ".bh" for the bridging files, allowing
> them to be placed anywhere.

We anticipate directly adding support for targets with both C and Swift code,
at some point (which is where the bridging header comes in), but that is more
involved and something I wanted to explicitly tackle separately. This proposal
is very focused at adding support for building C source code that is a part of
the project, and exposing the headers that declare the interfaces to that code.
It is not really intended to tackle the problem of using C headers to expose
*other* code.

> b) for (3), I'm facing this problem right now porting some very old C that
> has a main.c that includes main() as well as other more general code that the
> rest of the system uses. I solved this by changing main(), but that's not
> ideal, I would greatly prefer to use the original code verbatim. So for the
> 10% of cases where this is a problem, perhaps a compiler directive would be
> useful?

If you are integrating the code directly into your project I feel like it makes
more sense to require some adaption in order to keep the conventions simple.
There are likely a large number of adaptions necessary to integrate existing C
projects into these conventions, over time I expect we will allow customization
for common problems (and ones that are easy to define a syntax for
customizing), but I'm not sure if this one would bubble up to that level of
importance.

 - Daniel