> On May 24, 2016, at 8:06 PM, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On May 24, 2016, at 7:45 PM, Brent Royal-Gordon <br...@architechies.com
>> <mailto:br...@architechies.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> I believe it was things like "+" and "-" for set union and subtraction, etc.
>>

>> That, or &, |, and ^, by analogy with bitwise operators. It definitely came
>> up during the SetAlgebra discussions.
>
> Another thread I guess I didn’t follow closely enough.  I think I agree with
> avoiding using unconventional operators for operations which already have
> conventional operators associated with them.  Maybe someday it will be easy
> enough to type unicode operators that it might be reasonable to think about
> using them.
Kinda off-topic, but since you asked… I’m a fan of using a custom keyboard
layout to remap the alt-layer
(http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=ukelele). There’s
also the “Greek Polytonic” layout included in OS X which has several of math
symbols, but notably not anything from set notation. You'd still need a custom
layout for those, or just keep the “emoji & symbols” viewer up.

Unicode isn't hard to do (at least on OS X… I haven’t tried Windows or Linux),
but it’s impossible to make a class-compliant keyboard that just directly types
unicode characters because the USB HID spec doesn’t support it
(https://github.com/kiibohd/KiiConf/issues/30). Until that changes, we’re stuck
with using either custom keyboard layouts, macro software, or app-dependant
shortcuts. It’s not impossible, it just takes a few of the 800+ member
companies deciding that it’s time to get the ball rolling. If only someone who
works for such a company were on this mailing list...

- Dave Sweeris