> On Jun 21, 2016, at 3:51 PM, Jordan Rose via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 21, 2016, at 15:26, Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Daniel Resnick via swift-evolution
>> I also disagree for the same reasons that Gwynne and Brent mentioned: I find
>> '\(...)' easy to read, fine to type, and consistent with other string
>> escaping syntax.
>>
>> Those are persuasive arguments. Consistency with other string escaping
>> syntax is a huge plus. Moreover, now that I think about it, \r or \n isn't
>> really a bother to type. The \( combination takes a little getting used to,
>> but it's not absurdly terrible. I suppose we could consider \{} or even \[]
>> instead of \() to alleviate the reach.
>
> Gwynne and Brent indeed hit on the logic for the original design: backslash
> is already an escape character in strings. The parentheses () over another
> kind of delimiter were originally to match calls (string interpolation once
> generated direct calls to String initializers), but even without that it’s
> still something that’s used with expressions, while curly braces {} are used
> for general code blocks and square brackets [] are used with collections.
>
> I’m strongly in favor of keeping things the way they are, both because I like
> it a fair bit and because it’d be another source-breaking change that would
> be very hard to migrate.

I completely agree with Jordan.

This is a classical bikeshed, and any new design would have to be extremely
compelling, because it would have to overcome the advantage of the \()
approach: that it is compatible with the use of \ as the escape character for
other things.  It would be really unfortunate to have to start escaping $ or
whatever other character you would pick.

-Chris