> On Jul 1, 2016, at 10:05 AM, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution@swift.org>> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 1, 2016, at 6:12 AM, Björn Forster via swift-evolution
>>
>> In SE-0067: Enhanced Floating Point Protocols
>> <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0067-floating-point-protocols.md>
>>  is stated that pi will be a built in constant from Swift 3 onwards.
>> Is there a specific reason why pi as a constant will be included but not e?
>> e is also ubiquitous in scientific, engineering and economic calculations. I
>> seems odd to me to include pi but then not e as well. Also Python provides
>> both pi and e. Shouldn't Swift provide also at least both pi and e as
>> constants for its floating point types?
>> It is also not nice if different numerical packages for swift will come up
>> all with their own different definitions of e. I think Swift 3 should use
>> the opportunity to get this thing right from the beginning and provided both
>> pi AND e.
>>
>> Is there a new proposal necessary to still get e as a built in constant into
>> Swift 3?
>
> I think this thread will answer that question for you:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution/22200/focus=22466
> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution/22200/focus=22466>
That only is about tau, which is a much more controversial operator.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find the discussion of pi or E in the archives
(but neither pi nor e are very searchable)

In general, the line for mathematical functions appears to have been set pretty
high for inclusion in SE-0067, focusing instead on IEEE 754 capabilities and
general design/naming. There are a number of features missing from a standard
math library such as the ability to do trigonometric and hyperbolic operations,
exponential and logarithmic operations, and so on. I am not sure what criteria
determined where this line was drawn. I suspect it was trying to get to a point
of just additive changes.

But for all I know, pi may have been included just so that people didn’t use π
in math extension libraries ;-)

-DW