Look's like tools like Discourse require the creation of a userid, so to me one
big advantage of mailing list is that you simply register with your email
address (or an alias) and forget about it. No need to manage yet a new set of
credentials.

Dany, Twitter-less, Facebook-less, Google-less, Github-less