David, thank you for a real-word example when such feature will be very useful and can protect from hard-to-find bugs. IMO This shows that we should find a solution for the problem as soon as possible.

Such or similar question was discussed already in an number of threads, for example in "Requiring proactive overrides for default protocol implementations." and in "Requiring special keyword to mark protocol implementation methods", probably in other threads also.

The first is that `override` is not used in structs, so IMO it will be alien here. Second, if protocol has no default implementation for the method- would you require the `override(Protocol)` also?

Then, in case you will not require a keyword when no default implementation - you should think about retrospective adding of extension.

I.e. imagine, you have a source file, let's call it SomeClass.swift which you can't or don't want to change(this could be some complex source from 3rd party, from github, or from other developer of your company). This file compiles without problems. It contains:

public protocol Foo { func foo() }
public class Some: Foo { func foo() {...} }

You added SomeClass.swift to your project and in your My.swift you added default implementation for Foo protocol:

extension Foo { func foo() {...} }

So, now, when you compile your project, there is default implementation for foo() and class Some should contains `override(Foo)`, but you can't change SomeClass.swift.

The only solution I see here, is if this `override(Foo)` will be optional, and just express developer's intention, if he/she wants this. I.e. it is not required, but if you specify it - compiler will check this intention. But AFAIR unfortunately someone from core team mentioned that they don't want such optional solution.

And, at the end, I do think the real reason of your problem is not that protocol method has default implementation, but that `viewController(with:properties:)` definition in `FooController` does not say for compiler(and compiler does not check this) that this method was defined *exactly* to confirm to protocol. I.e. you can't clearly express your intention regarding why this method is here. Check this example:

Let's assume you defined protocol Foo in FooProto.swift file:

public protocol Foo { func foo() }

and have class `Some` conformed to Foo in SomeClass.swift:

public class Some : Foo { func foo() {...} }

it is clear *why* foo is here..

OK, now, let's assume you changed Foo protocol in the way, that SomeClass.swift *still* compiles :

public protocol Foo { func bar() }
extension Foo {
  func bar() {...}
}

Now, SomeClass.swift still compiles but it contains *wrong* intention that foo() method is an implementation of protocol requirement. And this can lead to bugs/unexpected behavior.

I think what we do need a way to clearly shows intention that we defined some method *exactly* because the conformed protocol has it and to make compiler check this.

My favorite solution is 'implements' keyword inside class/struct to highlight that I defined this method as implementation for the protocol requirement. IMO solves a big percent of discussed issues with just one added keyword, that also will help with understanding the code when you read it.

Other solution that was mentioned by (as I remember) member of core team is treat class extension with protocol conformance as such intention, i.e. when you say
extension Some: Foo {..}
compiler will understand this as all methods inside such extension must 'belongs' to the Foo protocol, i.e. if there is some method that does not exist in Foo - it will raise an error. But in this case we need to require that each protocol conformance will be declared as extension, not inline in class definition. Personally I don't believe in this solution.