> On 21 Sep 2016, at 11:44, Mr Bee via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>

> But after I thought about it again, I think half-opened range doesn't really
> make any senses. The ..< operator (and my proposed ..> operator) should be
> removed. Or we have to accept the consequences that we also need the other
> accompanying operators. The … operator with optional `step` attribute that is
> able to go both ways is more important that half-opened range operator.

This came up before on the list from whence I get the link

https://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD08xx/EWD831.html

which justifies both why numbering starts at 0 and why the ..< operator is the
most useful one. Th tl;dr version is that in a..< b you can find out how many
integers are in the range with a - b and easily specify an empty range. With a
… b you have to do a - b + 1 which is ugly and it is also problematic if you
want to specify an empty range.