> On Oct 14, 2016, at 1:53 PM, Hooman Mehr via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>
>> On Oct 14, 2016, at 1:49 PM, Daniel Duan via swift-evolution
>>
>> Agree with Robert here. I'd rather be able to use it as part of operators.
>> Currently the character set for operators and identifier head are mutually
>> exclusive. So this proposal will remove that possibility. This deserves some
>> discussion.
>>
>> Daniel Duan
>> Sent from my iPhone
>

> I don’t think $ will be become available to be used as an operator if we
> remove its identifier use.

If $ is an operator, then "$2" looks like the custom unary prefix operator "$"
applied to "2".  That's a problem; it needs to be parsed as the identifier "$2"
instead.

We could prevent "$" from being allowed a prefix operator.  There is precedent
for the language reserving operators that would otherwise be allowed, such as
postfix "?" and postfix "!".

-- Alex