> On Oct 16, 2016, at 8:19 PM, David Waite <da...@alkaline-solutions.com> wrote:
>
> fileprivate (and internal, in a sense) are really in the “friend” camp.
> Rather than declaring particular types are friends, these require code
> locality - in the same file in the case of fileprivate, in the same module in
> the case of internal.
>
> This does mean that the more stringent you wish to control internals, the
> more code gets stuffed into a file or module - but could actually be
> considered a benefit, as depending on internals naturally makes code highly
> coupled.
>
> That reason is why I’m not exactly fan of expanding ‘friend’-style
> permissions further - this could completely disguise the level of effort
> needed to change ‘hidden’ code in one class.

I think that is a valid point.  There is a tradeoff.  Being able to spread an
API over more files means that there are more files to change when you need to
make a change (and there is always a chance that you forget a file).  My
argument would be that this allows the author to choose the tradeoff for
themselves in each situation, whereas right now the choice is being made for
them.

> I’m against allowing hidden cross-module. If external code is explicitly
> allowed to depend on ‘hidden’ API, then its still API which would be expected
> to be stably maintained. Why not just make it public with appropriate caveats?

Yes, I think it would be expected to be stably maintained… but any sort of
protected-style access is going to be the same, as you need a stable API to
build subclasses/extensions on.  There are several reasons for encapsulation
beyond making it easier to update API.  My main reason for wanting this is to
be able to hide the levers which could get things into an inconsistent state
internally, while still allowing for the few cases where that access is needed
for efficient implementation.  Safe by default, with override.

I do suppose, at the expense of a little more complexity, we could make
‘hidden' a separate axis of control.  That is, you could have ‘public hidden’,
‘internal hidden’, and ‘private hidden’, with private hidden being exactly the
same as today’s fileprivate (C# has protected internal, etc… so it isn’t
unprecedented). That way, an author could choose the tradeoff between
maintenance burden and extensibility.

Thanks,
Jon